Recycled Plastic Decking
Did you know that the two primary ingredients in composite decking is recycled plastic and reclaimed timber? This makes composite decking an eco-friendly choice for your decking project.
What is Recycled Plastic Decking?
Composite decking is the fastest-growing wood alternative on the market. Its popularity is on the increase because, unlike wood, it is environmentally friendly and low maintenance. In today’s world, anything ‘eco’ catches our attention and is something to explore further.
This plastic content in the deck boards gives a long lifespan without the need for ongoing maintenance. Whilst the timber content allows the deck boards to retain that wonderful wood look and feel.
How is Recycled Plastic Decking Made?
Ekodeck is made up of reclaimed timber which is a mixture of hardwoods and softwoods, ground to a timber flour. This timber flour is very fine, which helps to ensure low water absorption.
This is added to recycled plastic which is high-density polyethylene from soft plastics such as milk bottles, plastic bags and other post-consumer waste and extruded through a mould.
To give you the best quality, durability and longevity, UV stabilisers, anti-mould agents and colourants are added to the mixture.
The Benefits of Using Recycled Plastic Decking
- Say goodbye to splinters because the small particles of timber in Ekodeck are combined with plastic using bonding agents
- It’s naturally weather resistant because of the materials used
- It won’t rot because of the recycled materials used
- It won’t decay because of the plastic composite
- It’s termite resistant
- It doesn't require ongoing oiling, painting, or sealing maintenance
- It’s easy to install – it has an easy-to-use clip system
- It has a great anti-slip rating – our recycled plastic decking is anti-slip rated
When to Use Recycled Plastic Decking
Anytime you would use timber or wood decking you can use our composite decking. However, due to the low maintenance and weather resistant benefits of using recycled materials, our composite plastic decking is a great choice if:
- Your deck has no covering component and exposed to the elements
- You live in an area with unpredictable and extreme weather
- You don’t have time for deck maintenance
- You have children who love to make a mess!
- You have elderly family members who can slip easily
- You have a pool where the deck becomes slippery
Ready to request a sample of our decking?
Click below and we'll send you out a free sample kit with our whole range of Ekodeck direct to your door!